9.12.2008

Devolva-Me

I finally did it. Come home, I mean. And when I say "come home," I'm referring to my mental state. Physically speaking, I left India almost four weeks ago and England two weeks ago. But it was this morning when I woke up to an alarm clock, ate oatmeal for breakfast while Sitting, Waiting, Wishing repeated in my head, and changed clothes three times for a business meeting all without flinching that I truly returned. I can't say everything about the transition is positive, but I'm functional here, and that relieves quite a bit of anxiety.

Now to figure out what to do with the holes in my soul. That's the real danger of leaving home for anywhere else - you come back Swiss cheese, hundreds of bits of different sides of you knocked and beaten off, chiseled out, or scattered wherever you've been. Particles blowing around in other people's memories.

For some reason Swiss cheese sounds like a sad thing to be, but
sad is definitely not an accurate description for any cheese. I wouldn't trade my hole-ridden soul for a South Indian Thali with a hot, crispy papadam. (And that's saying something.)

So coming home isn't bad and having holes isn't sad. And a double bed, brushing my teeth with tap water, and letters from far-away friends keep me happy...er, glad.




What
am I up to? Here's the plan:

1. Learn to fix my hair again

2. Get some interviews out of my job applications
3. Finish painting my parent's kitchen
4. Give up chewing gum entirely
5. Seriously apply for grad school
6. Learn to play the organ
7. Run up an India-worthy sweat daily (that's a lot of running).

Some serious headway has taken place with number one - I cut my hair (as evidenced below). And I'm in the middle of painting the kitchen - hence the ladder in the picture. (Yes, this blog is an exercise in procrastination of all of the items in the above list.)




The job success and grad school applications definitely need more attention because nothing but frustration has cropped up thus far. Fortunately my 17 year old sister, Michelle, keeps me towing the line. Seeing a senior in high school with more of a life plan than myself provides tremendous motivation for the me to get a move on! Sometimes patience is only a virtue in India.

6 comments:

Jenny Hansen Lane said...

great post. It's interesting to relate each aspect of our lives collectively is missing some chunks here and there. But we continue onward and upward. steadfastly. Your hair is cute. I hope to see you next month and the mission reunion..mom.

Sydney Vivian Lambson said...

natalie! I miss you. Everyday i think of stories to tell you...

Jill Campbell said...

I jumped on a computer on campus to do some last-minute reading before class. Now I've spent the whole time looking at photos and reading your stories and forgetting that I'm in Provo. Thanks for the escape and for sharing your memories so eloquently! We miss you - Meg keeps telling us the story about how she chased you fast at Hyde Park and she got bit by a goose. "Latalie getchoo!"

Jas and Berg said...

Natter - love the hair. you are so cute! I'm glad you are back! I noticed you need to update my blog address...just take off my last name. go to layout and then friends and family and edit - then save. also, I'd like to see Nate's blog, but it's also an incorrect address. Thanks! I miss you and hope the job search is going well. You crack me up - changing 3 times, and admitting it! Love you, Berg

Liann said...

LOVE IT Natalie! I miss you like crazy here. I mean these new girls are great and all, but I miss you guys! Especially the villa--I find that I'll be making more regular runs to the city on that ol' 96.

Love the hair--can't wait to get home and cut my own and I know what you mean about swiss cheese. A great description. Maybe by the time I get home you can help me figure out what to do wit my own holes.

I'll be visiting Nermala soon--probably introducing one of the FS students to those girls--Let me know if you want me to say anything to anyone in particular. I'm sure they'll be happy to see me again, but not nearly as happy as they would be to see you again!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you've posted something, and it's great to see you safe and sound back home :)