1.21.2009

Good News Minute

Come June, my ship sets sail for the wild blue yonder of Connecticut, the Constitution State. (Don't you love the titles states give themselves? As if wee Connecticut made all of 1787 happen. I think I like it there already.)

On a bus ride between New York City and Boston two weeks ago, I sadly slept through the area in which I will be spending the next two years. I've accepted an English teaching job at an inner-city secondary school (exact location TBA) which hopefully will be near Uncle Bill and his family, so Hartford or New Haven at the furthest. It must be said that opening the Teach for America acceptance e-mail felt eerily similar to opening my mission call. There's such a build up of expectation! And then after reading three beautiful sentences a flood of relief washes in, only to ebb out the next day and leave in its wake the gritty satisfaction of having good work to do. I'm a lucky girl: my little ship has yet to find a harbor that disagrees with her, so I'll just keep sailing. Why did I think exodus could only happen via desert or by parting water?

On another note, driving back from Cashmere today I saw THREE bald eagles in the trees along the Wenatchee River. Beautiful.

5 comments:

Sydney Vivian Lambson said...

YAY! congratulations!

Jenny Hansen Lane said...

Embarking, I'm excited for you

Jessica said...

Natalie-

I happened upon your blog from Charisse's. Just wanted to tell you that I am doing Teach for America too! I'll be teaching in Chicago. Good luck and congratulations!

Jenny said...

Congratulations! That sounds fantastic! Though I am completely happy and love how my life has turned out, I really wish I had had an opportunity to do Teach for America. I loved the schools where I taught, but I have always wanted to do inner-city. Growing up outside of Detroit, I guess I just had this bug to go back and work with those kids. I don't know. Anyway. You'll do great. Erika Childs did Teach for America and still teaches in an inner-city school in Vegas. She has some pretty amazing stories. I'll have to get you her blog. Her posts are hilarious, sad, and beautiful. Good luck, and congratulations again!

Pod People said...

Congratulations! I hope I end up in that neck of the woods as well!

Unrelated note, I love your blog! It inspires me to blog..and listen to good music.