6.02.2008

Looking Up

Hot afternoons and cool evenings invite long hours of reflection at night. At least that's my excuse for lying awake. Yesterday evening I finished washing the sheet I sleep on and found it wasn't dry when it was time for bed. So I lay down on my mat and set to thinking. Sometime in the middle of the night I woke and slipped outside to pull the now-dry sheet off the clothesline. I anticipated the complete stillness, the gentle snoring sounds, the cool air. I did not expect the stars. I sat on the steps and enjoyed them; they were so bright against so much black. I could trace constellations and clusters even without my glasses. Stars hadn't shone so clearly for me since I sat on top of a trailer on top of a bluff above Strawberry Reserve last summer. The sky looked as though it would absorb the dark earth.

I could have stayed for hours, but the sheet crumpled in my arms felt so invitingly soft.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've had many a midnight bathroom run in Chavadi end up with me standing in the middle of a quiet courtyard looking at the stars.

Shannon said...

This weekend I went to Jackson Hole/Grand Tetons. We did the same thing at night! We didn't even start a camp fire one night because we simply wanted to star gaze! I love it!

tatum said...

sounds like you still had a good night amidst the wet sheets. love your blog, makes me wish i were on a trip exploring.

Jenny Hansen Lane said...

You are happily enjoy life and I feel that in your post.

Nephi said...

It's not much for stars, but here's a good photo Kem took from Matthew and Jeeva's back in 2006:

Click here for the picture.

And here's my old blog from India.