12.03.2008

Bittersweet


Nicole went into the Missionary Training Center today. That means my best buddy and the keeper of my sanity while living at home has gone out of contact for the next 18 months. I'm thrilled for her because she will work hard and love her time serving in Hong Kong speaking Cantonese! I can think of few experiences deeper than those that come out of missionary service, and she is more than prepared for it. At the same time I'm fighting feelings of self-pity. Selfish, but true, because I miss her already and she's only been in the MTC for 9 hours.

A change of perspective is in order; it's time for me to leave the safety net my sister has been for me for the past year and a half and stretch. I probably should have done it long before, and I've tried, but usually not until someone I depend on is gone do I realize how many ties I've held onto to.

It's time to get out of the desert and into the sun, even if it's alone. Alone in the sun can be good!

2 comments:

Noelle said...

We're all gonna miss her, but she's going to be such an awesome missionary. Amanda Eccles says she'll go say hi to her when she's over there for her internship this summer.

tatum said...

you girls are so cute together and i envy your close frienship with each other. =) she'll be a great missionary, just like you were. glad thanskgiving was good for you.