11.18.2008

It's Awesome Time

Autumn is my FAVORITE season. What a shame that the leaves only last a month. When I was a little kid and in primary at church, we had music practice and learned the song It's Autumn Time; that's where it all started. Then a family friend misheard the words and began singing it as It's Awesome Time, and in my opinion that version is better. So today's post is an Ode to Autumn Time or Awesome Time, whichever you prefer.

*The following poem is actually a haiku, not an ode, but for some reason writing "today's post is a haiku to Autumn Time" sounded silly.



Hoar frost broke the blades
Soft grass now brittle stubble
Footprints gaping wide



I'm still working intensively on my research from India, job applications and graduate school prep, so the last month has been spent behind my laptop. Hooray for the internet, a cell phone, and a talkative family, or I wouldn't know anything about the outside world! To break up the day I've started taking walks. My family lives in a fairly rural area, so my circuit usually includes talking with Lola the goat, running through the orchard, and feeding wind-fallen apples to the neighbor's horses. It's not often that I get to live in such a peaceful and private environment, so I'm counting myself lucky! I've been feeling frustrated over fallen-through jobs, ever-expanding papers, and no light at the end of the grad school tunnel; but how long can that last when the neighbor kids come over and you suddenly find yourself chasing a goat and a two year old up and down the pasture?

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

It is beautiful there! Good luck with the job search, grad school applications, and your research.

Jenny Hansen Lane said...

This there any better preparation for grad school than talking to Goats, I highly doubt that. There is no better place to be to prepare you for the whirl wind ahead than wind fallen apples. Thank you for being you and being so darn good at it.!!